HomeGuides & AdviceJersey Housing Qualifications
Call +44 1534 888855

Jersey Housing Qualifications

Buying or leasing property in Jersey is a process governed by a strict set of laws including Jersey Housing Qualifications.

Under the ‘Control of Housing and Work (Jersey) Law 2012’ there are four categories of housing qualifications which determine where you can work and live. The current qualifying period for obtaining housing qualifications in Jersey is 10 years. Qualifications can also be gained through marriage to a residentially qualified person, through essential employment, or on social, economic or hardship grounds.

All existing qualified categories are known as ‘Freehold, Flying Freehold, Leasehold or Share Transfer’ are now known as Qualified’. In general all other property is ‘Registered’ which is also known as ‘Non-qualified’.


qualification categories

This is an individual who has lived on the island for 10 years or more, who can buy, lease or sell any property.

High value residents can apply for entitled status, which is granted by the Chief Minister if he/she is satisfied that doing so will have a social or economic benefit, and is in the best interests of the community. Click here to find out more about high value residency.

This is an individual who is an essential employee, meaning they are critical to the essential functioning of work involving the safety of human life or the protection, teaching, sanitation or management or administration for the local government.

Entitled to work
This is an individual who has lived in Jersey consecutively for five years but less than ten years. Can buy property jointly with an ‘entitled’ spouse / civil partner, or can lease ‘registered’ (previously ‘unqualified’) property as a main place of residence.
(previously Non-Qualified)

This is an individual who does not qualify for any of the above categories. They can lease or buy a registered property as their main place of residence.
(previously Non-Qualified)

If you are unsure about any of the above categories, we would advise contacting the Population Office on 01534 445505.


Registration cards

Your residential status will be printed on your registration card. Registration cards have replaced Social Security cards and will show your name, Social Security number, residential and employment status and the card’s expiry date. They don’t have a photograph, so you can not use the card as identification. You will need to obtain your registration card from the Social Security Department located on La Motte Street in St Helier. You will require photographic I.D and possibly other documentation if you are not Jersey born or if you have not applied for Housing previously. You will only need to obtain a registration card if you buy/lease a property, move to Jersey or start a new job with a new employer.

Further information of Jersey’s housing law and details on registration cards and can be found on the States of Jersey website.


Our website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you have consented to having cookies placed on your computer.

To find out more please read our cookie policy.